Sunday, August 16, 2015

100 Languages for everone!

As I have been working on my PoP about the children who are English learners, I usually think of my topic and specifically about the word “Language”. I was reading this week article “pedagogical documentation: Beyond observation”, and I thought about the benefit of the documentation that I have been exposed to. The following sentence made me rethink about the correlation between a 100 language and the children from around the world who talk in the other language and have different cultures and values to express themselves:
“Multiple languages can facilitate communication between multiple groups, from children, to parents, to political and other "stakeholders".” (Alcock, 2000, P.8)
Don’t you think that we can assume the meaning could be related to all groups? I think by respecting other languages and cultures, we provide the accepting environment to children to express themselves in the variety of ways. For instance, in my workplace, we have an international twin who play together and talk in their own language. Some educators asked the supervisor to separate the children, so that they learn English faster. Others talked about their observations and the way that the twin help and support each other for creating new art and exploring their environment. We decided to have them both in our room to support them. I believe both “a hundred language”, and talking in different language can facilitate communication between multiple groups. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment